- The student is obliged to follow Noor Majan’s site rules and dress code. Dress code is as followed: Men should wear long pants at all times. Sleeveless shirts or transparent fabrics worn without undershirts are not acceptable. Shirts should be long enough to cover the small of your back, even while sitting, preferably longer. Women should wear loose-fitting long pants or skirts at all times. Shirt sleeves should be 3/4 length or long sleeves. Shirts should be long enough to cover the small of your back, even while sitting, or preferably longer.
- The student commits to follow his/her host home’s house rules and mores and to respect local morals.
- As a representative of the Noor Majan community students are also bound to behave in a correct and culturally sensitive manner in the town of Ibri and its surroundings.
- Noor Majan is responsible for informing students comprehensively about cultural particularities and to educate them about rules, customs, and morals during orientation.
- Any ensuing problems or tensions between the student and his/her hosts should be solved with the help of a mediating Noor Majan staff members. Noor Majan’s administration is to be informed immediately in case of misunderstandings, tensions, or problems at the student host homes.
- In case of discord between Noor Majan and its contract partners, be they individual students or institutions, any cases shall be negotiated under Omani Law at the Primary Court in Ibri, Sultanate of Oman.
Discovering Oman: Excursions & Activities
The thoughtfully and carefully organized cultural excursions around Oman are one of Noor Majan’s strengths. Each monthly course will have at least one half-day tour and one overnight excursion. These excursions are a chance to explore the country and serve as a continuation and important enhancement of a student’s language studies. Language partners and teachers are invited on excursions as supervisors with the purpose of engaging students and building friendships. Locations of other excursions are determined by factors including season, weather, safety, and availability of local hosts and guides. Below are just a few of the excursions we offer to students.
Students at Noor Majan stay at our institute’s student apartments. This type of accommodation is covered by the course fee. The apartments are gender-segregated but in the same building on Ibri’s main road; within walking distance of restaurants, shops, laundry services, and the taxi and bus stations. The apartments consist of shared two, three or four bedroom apartments. Bedrooms are double occupancy, depending on capacities, students may upgrade their room to single occupancy at an additional fee. The fully equipped kitchen, lounge area, bathrooms, washing machines and flat screen TVs are for shared usage within one apartment. All apartments are equipped with WiFi internet access. Bed linen is provided but you need to bring your own towels.
Our price and package includes all accommodation (incl. excursions) for the duration of your stay with us.
On class days during regular courses Noor Majan provides refreshments, tea, coffee and home-cooked Omani lunches at the institute. There are several supermarkets nearby and a Lulu hypermarket; as well as a variety of Arab, Indian and fast food restaurants in walking distance of the apartment building. Once a week, the institute’s bus takes students to Lulu Hypermarket for their grocery shopping .
Female students have the opportunity to live with Omani host families for the duration of their course. For this arrangement Noor Majan has to charge an additional 150 OMR per month. The family provides a bed, wardrobe and bed linen but we ask that you bring your own towels. Students will share the regular family meals. Our host families are carefully selected and understand the importance of Arabic language practice in the homes. They are eager to make students feel at home and as part of the family and to facilitate their glimpse into Omani culture. Our host families typically live in detached villas or on farms; some of them live in extended families and/or polygamous marriages and most families have children of different ages.
Arrival and Getting to Ibri
Noor Majan offers a shuttle bus to Ibri leaving from Muscat International Airport on the in the morning of the day prior to the first day of the course. Students will meet a representative of Noor Majan on the day prior to the course start (usually Tuesdays or Saturdays) between 10:00 and 11:30 am in front of the Ooredoo telecommunication counter in the arrival hall. The shuttle bus will leave to Ibri at 11:30 am.
For students arriving the night prior to Noor Majan’s designated pick-up time, we recommend spending a night in Muscat and then meeting the group at the airport the next morning.
Departing from Ibri
Noor Majan will organize transportation to Muscat Airport on the last day of classes, usually Thursdays. Students will be in Muscat on time to catch all flights after 7:00 pm.
Arranging Own Transport to Ibri
After Arriving At Muscat International Airport, purchase an Omani SIM card and some credit at the Ooredoo telecommunications counter in the arrival hall and call +968 99433381 (Sultan Al Farsi) or +968 99427098 (Hussein Al Farsi) to inform us about your safe arrival.
If arriving between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. come to Ibri directly. If arriving between 7:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. you need to spend the night in Muscat. Hotel options close to the airport include Golden Tulip Al Seeb , Holiday Inn Muscat Al Seeb , Bayan International Hotel , Al Husn Hotel Apartments Al Khoudh (no online booking available).
Arriving to Ibri by Bus or Taxi
Take a taxi to Burj Al Sahwa station. Taxis right in front of the airport will take you there for 7 OMR (5 min ride). The airport taxis are blue and you have to pay for them up-front at a little stall reading “airport taxi” in front of the arrival hall.
For all other taxis, which are recognizable by their orange/white color: Taxis in Oman are not metered, so you need to negotiate a fare prior to boarding a taxi! When walking up to the main street you can catch a taxi or shared bus and bargain a much cheaper fare.
At Burj Al Sahwa buses leave twice daily at 7:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. (Check validity of schedule at http://www.ontcoman.com/). The bus ride takes four hours to Ibri and costs about 4 OMR.
Taxis to Ibri leave from there as well. They cost 5 OMR per passenger if shared at four or 25 – 30 OMR if you rent a taxi on your own. The trip to Ibri takes 2.5 hours by taxi.
- Noor Majan will arrange student visa for the time of the students’ stay at the institute. After the course end, any remaining visa period has to be canceled as per the policies of Oman’s immigration authorities. In order to complete the visa application process, we require the participant’s full cooperation in providing Noor Majan with the correct personal data and required documents (passports need to be valid at least six months after the end of the course).
- The visa costs of 30 OMR will have to be borne by the participant.
- Noor Majan cannot guarantee the success of every visa application as these applications are granted at the discretion of the administration of the Royal Oman Police, (ROP). In case of the refusal of the visa by ROP Noor Majan will reimburse the full course fees except an administrative fee of 50 OMR.